Our business was first established in 1919 by the current owner’s great grandfather, H.G. Davis, repairing motor cars. When Phyllis, his youngest daughter, married Tom Hatfield in 1932, he was brought into the business and it became T.A. Hatfield. The business was expanded to incorporate the repair of pedal cycles needed by pupils at Wellington College and later St Paul’s of London who had been evacuated to Easthampstead Park.
Tom and Phyllis were keen motorcyclists, so it was a natural progression to undertake their repair as well, particularly as the trade in motor car repairing had declined during the Second World War. Their son, Keith, joined the business in 1962 with further emphasis on pedal cycles and motorcycles.
The business became a Limited Company in 1966 with Phyllis, Keith and his sister Linda as the directors. The Honda agency was taken on in the early 1970’s and the business continued to grow. Keith’s son, Martin joined the business in 1991, and his daughter, Fiona in 2000. They were both made directors of the Company in 2004 following the death of Phyllis in March of that year.
Sadly Keith and Linda have now passed away, however Martin and Fiona continue to run the business with as much enthusiasm and care of customer satisfaction as their relatives did previously.
In 2009 Hatfields extended their showroom with a glassroofed area to the side of the building. Whilst in 2010 a new purpose built workshop, to the rear of the premises, is awaiting approval from the local authority. This will double the showroom capacity and provide an even better environment to view the current range of Honda motorcycles.